Does a child has to get sick often in a nursery or pre-school?
10 February 2010
Doctors agree with the opinion that a child starting to attend any group with children will be exposed to viruses and bacteria. This is the only way to develop his/her own immunity and reduce the number of infections at school age and adulthood. As all children are individuals their immunity will differ. There are children who will get sick twice a year, others will be sick very often. It is hard to foresee what the reaction of your child in a group of children will be. The only way to learn how your child will react is by sending him/her to group activities. At our pre-school we still haven’t found the golden rules to prevent children from getting sick. However we apply various measures that let us reduce the number of sick children on our premises.
- at the signing of the contract parents are obliged not to bring children who are sick
- sick children are sent home(if they appear ill during the day at school)
- parents are obliged to bring a doctor’s certificate that the child is ready to attend the school at the signing of the contract and every time the child is sick and out of school for more than 5 days
- children go out every day (unless the temperature is lower than -10 °C)
- classrooms are aired every day
- temperature in the classrooms is the same in summer and in winter i.e 20° C
- children groups are small max. 13 children